Suspect you’re a victim of auto fraud?
Auto sales fraud in the U.S. is a big problem. Today, an increasingly high number of car shoppers and lessees are becoming victims of dirty sales tactics when dealing with an auto sales business. Consumer fraud comes in many forms and may happen at any stage of the vehicle purchase process.
To protect yourself against auto dealers’ deceptive, unfair, and unlawful practices, you need to educate yourself. That way, you will know the correct steps to take and when to hire a Mississippi auto sales fraud attorney if you feel scammed.
If you or someone you know has been a victim of auto sales fraud, contact the team at Ware Law Firm. We will help you get the compensation you deserve.
What Laws Are in Place to Protect Consumers From Auto Sales Fraud?
Several federal and state laws are designed to protect the public against consumer fraud.
As much as you may work with a lawyer for car dealership fraud, it is important to be aware of these common types of laws to help you know if a dealer has violated them:
- Deceptive trade practices laws. These laws prohibit a business from committing fraudulent activities such as false advertising, privacy violations, and bait-and-switch tactics.
- Mississippi lemon laws. Lemon laws require dealers to provide a refund or replace a vehicle if it has significant defects within a certain period of time.
- Fair Credit Reporting Act. This federal law is meant to ensure the information in consumer reporting agencies’ files is accurate, fair, and secure.
- Identity theft laws. These statutes outlaw the practice of using another person’s identity to commit consumer fraud.
- Auto financing regulations. Auto dealers that provide in-house financing are required by law to protect consumers’ personal information.
Steps to Take If You Suspect Consumer Fraud
Without the right knowledge, it is difficult to determine if you have been a victim of car dealer fraud. Similarly, most people will not know what to do when faced with a situation. However, taking the following steps will help you hold an unscrupulous dealer accountable.
Contact Your Dealer
If you have been a victim of car dealer fraud, contact your dealer in writing. Explain the problem clearly and take time to find out if the dealer was aware of the issue. You should also consider giving them a chance to resolve the problem.
File a State Agency Complaint
If you get a negative response, contact the Mississippi Motor Vehicle Commission and file a complaint. The regulatory agency will investigate the dealer’s business practices and take the necessary action based on their findings.
Get an Attorney’s Help
If you have exhausted all your legal options, you can consider filing a lawsuit against the dealership’s business.
Before pursuing a private legal action, you may want to speak with a Mississippi auto sales fraud attorney. Your lawyer will evaluate your case, explain your options, and represent you throughout the entire process.
When there are several victims of consumer fraud, consider filing a class-action lawsuit. With the strength in numbers that class action lawsuits provide, you will stand a good chance of succeeding even if you are going up against large businesses through litigation.
When to Contact a Mississippi Auto Sales Fraud Attorney
In addition to knowing the steps to take if you have been victimized by consumer fraud, it is important to learn when to contact an attorney.
Be sure to consult a lawyer for auto dealer fraud:
- If you suspect you have been scammed. A lawyer will help you understand if the dealer’s actions amount to consumer fraud.
- If you have suffered significant economic loss due to the fraud committed.
- If the case involves data breaches or identity theft.
- If you need help pursuing a private legal action against the dealer’s business.
- If you believe the dealer’s actions have violated the existing consumer protection law.
- If there is a large number of plaintiffs involved. This could signify that the dealer’s fraudulent activities are systematic and widespread.
How Mississippi Auto Dealer Fraud Lawyers Can Help
The lawyer you hire can mean the difference between the success and failure of your claim. To choose the right person for the job, you need to understand the critical role that the professional will play. An experienced attorney for car dealership fraud will provide you with vital resources and help you with the following services.
Determining If You Have a Claim Worth Pursuing
Buying or leasing a car is a complicated process. Dealers can take advantage of the complexities at different stages of the process to engage in consumer fraud. A good lawyer will understand consumer law in Mississippi, evaluate your case, and help you determine if the claim is worth pursuing before taking any legal action like litigation.
Enforcing Your Rights
Pursuing a personal injury complaint against a car dealer can be time-consuming and confusing. When you work with a lawyer, they will help you navigate complex legal issues. In addition, your lawyer will ensure that you are not taken advantage of.
Proving Consumer Fraud
To obtain a significant damage reward, you will have to prove that the auto dealer committed fraud and you are the victim of that fraud. An auto sales fraud lawyer will put together a good case and submit the relevant evidence, which will go a long way in enabling you to obtain the compensation you deserve, even if it means pursuing litigation.