Have you been the victim of identity theft? Has someone stolen your personal information and left you a mountain of debt?
We know how overwhelming this can be. You’re not alone.
Let us help you take back control of your identity and finances. At Ware Law Firm in Mississippi, our team offers stress-free solutions to the aftermath of identity theft. We’ll work with you to restore your credit and finances, so you can get back to living your life.
With our help, you can navigate the complex legal process with ease. Contact our Mississippi identity theft attorney today to learn how we can help you file an identity theft claim.
Our experienced lawyers will work around the clock to help you get the compensation and peace of mind you deserve. Don’t wait – take control of your identity today.
What to Do if Your Identity is Stolen
If you have your identity stolen, there are several steps you need to take immediately:
- Notify your identity theft insurance, if you have it, immediately.
- File a report with the Federal Trade Commission.
- Contact any companies that may need to be notified.
- Contact your local police department for vital support.
- Freeze your credit, place a fraud alert on your credit report, and review your existing reports for strange new accounts.
- Tighten security on all of your accounts since the thief may be able to access more of those accounts than you think.
Dealing with identity theft on your own can prove incredibly frustrating and traumatic. Having a consumer protection lawyer experienced in identity theft cases on your side, on the other hand, can make it easier to manage the many challenges that may come your way while you deal with identity theft.
Contact a Mississippi identity theft attorney as soon as possible to learn what protection is available for identity theft victims.
Laws That Protect Identity Theft Victims
Identity theft is a serious crime and can cause immense trauma. You may struggle to deal with background check errors or bankruptcy reporting errors.
Your entire life may feel like it has been put on hold since you may have trouble securing a line of credit or moving into a new property while dealing with identity theft challenges.
Fortunately, several laws aim to help protect the victims of identity theft.
- Under the Identity Theft Enforcement and Restitution Act of 2008, the thief can be ordered to pay restitution, including an amount to cover the time the victim had to spend dealing with the identity theft.
- The Crime Victims Act establishes victims’ rights in federal court proceedings, including the right to timely proceedings and timely payment of restitution for your losses. In addition, you have the right to be reasonably heard during the trial.
How a Mississippi Identity Theft Attorney Helps You
Sometimes, you may not even realize that your identity has been stolen. You may go about your life as normal until you have a credit check or background check performed.
Then, you suddenly realize that your identity has been stolen and that, as a result, you have several complications ahead of you.
If you realize or suspect your identity has been stolen, contact a Mississippi identity theft lawyer immediately. Working with an attorney on your identity theft claim can offer some key advantages.
Filing Reports and Paperwork
Dealing with identity theft may mean going through a great deal of paperwork. An identity theft lawyer can help you ensure you have filed an accurate report with the Federal Trade Commission and have filed a police report promptly.
A lawyer can also help you gather the vital information you need for those reports, decreasing the time you must spend dealing with the authorities.